Contributor
Lead character

Badges: 100 credits 50 credits

NetNavi:
Creative.EXE
Z-license
Level: 1 [What's this?]
Posted on September 4, 2014 at 15:52:46 [Post link]

I tried running 1.8 and man, I couldn't move. I thought at first it was just taking time to populate the new world, or update an old world to the new 1.8. I finally started messing with the video settings and discovered two things:

1. Turn "Use VBOs" on
2. Turn "Use VSync" off

VBOs preload something (technical jargon here). VSync prevents your monitor from rendering before it's ready. That is what killed my gameplay. There's lots of complaints on the MC forums, thought I'd share my solution here.

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on September 4, 2014 at 17:27:03 [Post link]

VSync off is often a good idea. From what I hear, however, the performance of VBOs will vary a lot from one computer to the other. For some people, it will help; for others, it will worsen things. Just try both, and pick whichever runs best!

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

Pages: 1

New topic Reply