Interordi.com:

Interordi.com Message Board
Login:
Username: Password:
User options:

New topic Reply

Topic: Design an advertising banner!, Who wants to give this a shot?

Pages: 1

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more
Stream: Season's Greetings!

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Level: 32 [What's this?]
Posted on February 18, 2014 at 19:15:26 [Post link]

This is the current banner used to promote the Creeper's Lab, both on servers lists and various forums.

For some time now, I've been meaning to create a new one, more visually attractive, animated, listing various server features and what not. I never seem to sit down and actually do it, so I thought: "Why not ask someone else to do it?"

Your mission, should you choose to accept it: design an animated, 468 x 60 pixels banner, used to promote the Creeper's Lab. Ideally, it should include a list of perks that set us apart from other servers. Here are some suggestions, feel free to alter or add to them as you feel.

• Online 24/7
  • Normal and amplified worlds
  • Friendly community
  • No map resets, ever
  • Active staff
  • No griefing
  • Events
  • http://www.creeperslab.net/

If you need inspiration, you can look at what others have done on PlanetMinecraft.com.

Keep in mind that placing the server IP directly on the banner is pointless, considering that people need to register and it changes once in a while.

If you need some of the official images to promote the server, such as an high resolution version of the logo, you can grab this image pack. I'll be happy to provide anything else you might need. Maybe you could even incorporate a screenshot in there. It's a good idea to keep the final file size below 350 kB, as some websites won't accept the image otherwise.

My thanks to anyone who rises up to the challenge!

UPDATE: I forgot to specify, I need this in GIF format. That's the only animated format accepted in most places!

Edited by Dr. Cossack on February 18, 2014 at 20:32:28

The admin formerly known as Dr. Cossack.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

WindRider739
Dungeon Master

Stream: This work thing is really cutting into my game ...

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 11 [What's this?]
Posted on February 18, 2014 at 19:58:04 [Post link]

I've passed the word along and it has been written in the Book of Face.

Need a Creeper's Lab staff member for something? Go ahead and send me a private message HERE! Also, check out my Twitch channel for video games and Tabletop RPG sessions! http://www.twitch.tv/cedwards9

NDS Friend Code - 0705-4627-9088

Septina
Contributor
Robot master

Posted on February 18, 2014 at 23:48:32 [Post link]

With Sora's suggestion, I slowed the text down a full second more. Let me know if I should try doing anything else.

Changed background to the pic Doc took of Mt Top Hat view.

Edited by Septina on February 19, 2014 at 15:51:45

Attached image:
Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

Badges: Princess Celestia Unity.EXE emblem Zenny Squid beaker Lilly Satou ... and 25 more

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on February 19, 2014 at 1:38:46 [Post link]

That background landscape looks oddly familiar. Is it from the Minecraft title screen, in any chance?

One thing that'd definitely help the look is to keep the proportions on the logo and title correct. They're vertically squished right now, which looks off. Including the website URL at all times might be a good idea. Since its text color is white against a dark background, its got a nice constrast.

I post musings, images and nonsense on Tumblr! I play games on Steam! Add me on either/both, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to play something with me!

"There are only three things certain in life: Death, taxes, and Teej's obsessions." ~ RisingDragon (still true in 2017!)

WindRider739
Dungeon Master

Stream: This work thing is really cutting into my game ...

NetNavi:
Error.EXE
Z-license
Level: 11 [What's this?]
Posted on February 19, 2014 at 7:58:56 [Post link]

I agree - that looks like an outstanding start.

Need a Creeper's Lab staff member for something? Go ahead and send me a private message HERE! Also, check out my Twitch channel for video games and Tabletop RPG sessions! http://www.twitch.tv/cedwards9

NDS Friend Code - 0705-4627-9088

SorathePumpking
Contributor
Minecraft helper
Death itself

Badges: Squid beaker
Posted on February 19, 2014 at 15:13:57 [Post link]

That looks pretty damn awesome. If I had to nitpick one thing, though, it would be to add more time that each statement stays visible. By even a half a second

Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on February 19, 2014 at 16:19:43 [Post link]

That view from Mt. TopHat is hilariously out of date and doesn't represent the current landscape anymore, but it does work well as a background piece. :)

The rotating text display should definitely gain some anti-aliasing to give it a cleaner look. Maybe some sort of drop shadow or dark glow around the letters should be considered, too? It'd improve the contrast even more.

Also, at the risk of sounding nitpicky, the rotating text is misaligned vertically. I'm not sure if it should be centered on the main logo's red line, the image height, or if you planned to add something underneath.

Septina
Contributor
Robot master

Posted on February 19, 2014 at 16:39:55 [Post link]

i should be able to do the shadowing or glow, but what do you mean by the anti-aliasing. also this i thought i put was a prototype just to get opinion on wording and speed so the text misalignment issue i realized needs fixing. anything else you wanting on it or done to it? I had nothing else planned for it, but open to suggestions

Phrogie
Not a tasty, potato snack

Posted on February 19, 2014 at 17:29:36 [Post link]

Anti-aliasing basically means that the text isn't so harsh (for lack of a better word at the moment) against the background. Glow and/or shadowing will help with that.

And what Doc said about squishing/stretching the logo... never a good idea to do that. Doc's got a brand going on with Creeper's Lab, and ALL artwork needs to reflect that brand. Think about all the logos you see daily... do you ever see them in any other shape or form other than the most recognizable one? There's a reason for that. If you go all willy-nilly with stretching or squishing, the brand starts to become less recoginizable, because you're not sure what you expect to see. But when it's consistent? You start remembering it, even without realising it. Soon, you remember the shape and know what it is without even needing to read the words. Theoretically, Doc could eventually start using JUST the beaker graphic, and people would automatically associate "Creeper's Lab" with it.

So... keep it consistent.

And thus endth the lesson of branding 101.

Septina
Contributor
Robot master

Posted on February 19, 2014 at 17:50:49 [Post link]

I fixed the vertical sync, and anti-aliasing. I was not able to add shadowing with the program I using but I was able to enhance the background colors to make the white lettering more visible. tell me what you think. also fixed the squished look of the logo

Edited by Septina on February 19, 2014 at 17:52:36

Attached image:
Doctacosa
Admin
SciLab Official
Ship Captain

NetNavi:
Unity.EXE
SSS-license
Posted on February 20, 2014 at 0:12:54 [Post link]

I wasn't sure if the text placement was final or not, so I figured I'd point it out just to make sure!

The font definitely looks better now, which is a big plus. :)

Exodio
Contributor
Lead character

Badges: 100 credits 50 credits

NetNavi:
Creative.EXE
Z-license
Level: 1 [What's this?]
Posted on February 20, 2014 at 5:49:27 [Post link]

Pages: 1

New topic Reply